After 7 years and raising over $1,000,000 for the Royal Children’s Hospital, the CFMEU are throwing their support behind a new cause: AMAZE.
CFMEU Members are a unique bunch of people, everyone is different but we come together as one in our union. Every person on the Autism Spectrum is different, no two people on the autism spectrum are alike and each will experience autism in different ways.
Most of us have a family member, friend, workmate or someone close to us who is on the Autism Spectrum. In fact, it is estimated that 1 in every 100 Australians is on the spectrum, as many as 230,000 Australians.
AMAZE raises awareness and influences positive change for people on the autism spectrum and their families. They provide support and independent, credible information and resources to individuals, families, professionals, government and the wider community.
What is the Autism Spectrum?
Autism is a neurodevelopmental condition which affects the brain’s growth and development. It is a lifelong condition, with symptoms that appear in early childhood.
What can autism look like:
- Challenges with communication and interacting with others
- Repetitive and different behaviours, moving their bodies in different ways
- Strong interest in one topic or subject
- Unusual reactions to what they see, hear, smell, touch or taste
- Preference for routines and dislike change
- Autism can affects the way that individuals interact with others and how they experience the world around them.
How YOU can be AMAZE-ING
The CFMEU is partnering with AMAZE to raise awareness of Autism and support people on the Spectrum and their families. Almost a third of people participating in the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) are on the spectrum and many more are unable to access that support or have not been properly diagnosed.
CFMEU Members have a big role to play:
- If you don’t already know about Autism, find out and spread the word – talk to your family, friends and workmates. Awareness is crucial to improving peoples lives. Start by taking a look at the AMAZE website: amaze.org.au
- Tell your story – send your story about how Autism Spectrum Disorder affects you and your family and you could win new CFMEU-AMAZE merchandise and a $200 voucher! Send your story, member number and contact details to: [email protected]
- Buy the merchandise and raise money for AMAZE to change lives. Talk to Beck in the CFMEU office about visiting your site, or buy merchandise online: vic.cfmeu.org.au/shop
Thanks for being AMAZE-ING!
Footage from "Two of a Kind" short documentary, well worth watching, click here: youtube.com/watch?v=0v8DADrkRco